Sunday, September 5, 2010

5th sept
I was just short of 3000 km by 40… 3000- is when the second servicing has to be done. I had decided to finish the servicing here- 40 km doesn’t matter .This meant removing the oil, replacing the oil filter with a new one and cleaning the small filter…and of course filling in fresh oil again. Quite a simple job but has to be done right… I had learnt how to do all this at Spark Motion Bikers. After breakfast I went down, Didi-my sister came along to assist in the operation! I unscrewed the nuts and bolts and watched as Rocinante drained her thick blackened life blood. I helped her to the last drop by starting the engine and revving up. The job well done, wiping my hands feeling pleased with myself; like a surgeon who had successfully completed a dialysis procedure, I packed my tools.
 We checked out at 12:30. Didi and Anil-da (my brother-in –law) went their way, I mine. Day before In Allahabad I had gone to 6 ATMs but was unsuccessful in withdrawing cash! Some were not working, some were closed, some had no money one had a card stuck in it. I went to 4 ATMs on my way out of Gorakhpur but it was the same story. So finally I have about INR 6540/- which have to last me till the 9th -hotel, food, and petrol… hmm … Unless I can withdraw some here tomorrow. 9th Sharmila is planning to come to Kathmandu again to see me off to my last leg in Nepal before I enter Tibet. One tries to extricate oneself for introspection and all that… but let us not forget the strings that are attached are way too strong!!  she will bring me some money!
Crossed the India-Nepal border.

 The Indian customs official and the Nepalese immigration both wanted ‘something’. The Indian, I angrily and flatly refused as I was going across and he couldn’t stop me… but the Nepalese, I had to indulge as he could send me packing… then I had to pay some fees as well- to enter… eventually leaving me INR 4500/-
Reached Butwal. When I stand on the extremely straight and really long main street of the town, I see rather abruptly, a range of mountains (the Siwalik Range)…no mediating slopes only a vertical elevation- like cardboard cutouts. 

Wonder what my ride is going to be tomorrow.
Checked into a hotel that seems more like a hostel… lots of youngsters seemingly local…lots of talking and noise in the corridors...but that’s okay when I hit the bed I always go off like a bulb; just hope it doesn’t get too hot as the only windows the 9ft X9ft X 9ft room has, open onto the corridor!

Walked around a bit no internet cafes and my net connect does not work anymore as I am out of the country…
Got a quarter of the local rum ‘Khukri’…Deadly… obviously they have forgotten to add any flavouring !
The dinner I ordered has just arrived… dal fry, a vegetable, rotis and papad

No comments:

Post a Comment