Saturday, September 18, 2010


16th September
Off today to Shigaze (12,600 ft) via Lhatse (13,287 ft).Today we are doing what was to be done over two days. This is to make up for the one lost day at the border. Also I have to get a new license made at Shigaze so we have to get that done before the approaching weekend. Shigaze is the second largest city in Tibet. First one of course being the capital Lhasa.
Most of the population of Tibet my guide tells me are or were nomads. Some of these tribes have now settled down. He also told me the most amazing thing that every village in Tibet has electricity.  Provided through Solar panels which I did see all along. 
The road we took from Zhangmu has a count down of Kilometers to Shanghai, we crossed the 5000km to shanghai mark today.
I have been taking pictures but when I go back to the room I always get so disappointed. I am carrying a small aim and shoot which is no good for capturing the vastness and magnitude of the landscape that currently surrounds me. The Himalayas look like sand mountains made on the beach by Kattya and Kashyap!


On arriving at 15:30 hrs, we had lunch and went straight to the Traffic control office. The vehicle had to be inspected and some paperwork done. I was to give a test tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Pictures can never do justice to nature, no matter how good the camera. Still, I am enjoying what you are capturing in the pictures and the description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tushar, nothing can capture the real experience as you describe it....

    ReplyDelete