Friday, September 10, 2010

10th Sept
Yesterday was mostly eventless. After the flurry of letters on the 8th evening, this morning Simon sent me by e-mail the documents issued by Tibet Tourism Administration, China. Got them printed and put all required photocopies in my bag - ready for today,
This morning went to the embassy, I knew how to do it now- pick a form while the security check your bag run in the inner room grab a number and a seat and fill out the form- I had even taken my own glue stick to put my photo on the form .I had written out all the required dates, numbers and addresses on a sheet of paper. Since I knew the routine so well, my number was second. I reached the window and smugly handed the documents. The clerk behind the window looked at me disdainfully and half crumpled and stuffed the papers through the opening and told me I cant make this application on my own –it has to come through a travel agency. I was bowled over, didn’t know which agency to get hold of. I had to lodge my application today (tomorrow day after being Saturday-Sunday)or else I would not be able to cross over on Monday. I immediately called my friend Rupal  Shah who has a lot of trekker friends, She got into action and for the next hour  we were calling each other and exchanging SMS-s. She finally got the right number from the internet. I immediately called the person… it was 11:00 I had to meet this man, get the paper work done and get back to the embassy before 12:00. I was hell bent on getting it done today! I caught a cab and rushed to his office. Explained the whole mess to him- he knew what had to be done he printed out the necessary letters, and rushed to the embassy it was 11:40. I crossed my fingers; bit my nails while I swung from  tenter hooks. He came back smiling at12:15. The application was done. It had to be collected back from him at 17:00 hrs! Well he charged me a hefty sum in US dollars but the job was done (I forgot to mention my debit card was working here). The Hero for the day is Rupal… without her the visa would not have happened today which means I would not have been able to keep my date with the representatives of the travel agency who had my further permits for travel in Tibet etc; at the border on Monday.
At 14:45 Sharmila was to arrive… I went to pick her up and she had another surprise for me… both the kids Katya and Kashyap were with her. So now it’s going to be family time for the rest of today and tomorrow. 

They leave on Sunday norning for Bombay and I for Kodari the last point on the map of Nepal from where I cross into Tibet at Zhangmu.

1 comment: