Saturday, September 4, 2010

4th Aug
Left Allahabad at 7:30
There were two routes I could take one shorter, and one would take me through Ayodhya, so I decided to the later. At Faizadbad I got on to NH 28. About 3 km down there is a small road that goes to Ayodhya.

 It is a small town, with busy lanes and handsome architecture.

 

I wanted to see the spot where the Babri Masjid stood, I didn’t how to ask directions to this spot, I didn’t know what the sentiment here was… I was uneasy and unwilling to refer to it as the temple site/ janmabhumi. My quandary was resolved by the entry of Tusliram who proclaimed himself to be a guide and promised to show me everything there was to see for Rs.51/- . I jumped to the offer but instantly recollected a very old map of Ayodhya that showed all the sites and I remember it as being dotted profusely with temples and buildings of ‘historic’ significance… this tour could have taken the whole day and I would have to endure that many hours of the grating spiel of Tulsiram. Presently I had no option… I decided to go along. He first took me to the workshop where there were piles of carved pillars, brackets in fact every last architectural detail of ‘The temple’ to be built was in readiness. After the judgement on the 16th Sept (he was positive it would be in favour of the temple) the building would start.

After which he took me to some other spots, tried to get a donation out of me for at least one stone towards the building , I finally told him I had a meeting in Gorakhpur  and had time for only one more spot… so obviously that was the place where the Mosque stood.When we got there I realized  It has a police barricade 1 km away and neither vehicles not bags are allowed. I would have to park my bike in the market with all my luggage, electronics etc and walk. I was sure I couldn’t risk this so finally left with just some snaps over the barricade.

Reached Gorakhpur at 5;30pm. My sister and brother-in-law had come down from Delhi to see me and flag me off to Nepal the nexct day…

3rd  Aug
Found an authorized service centre of the bike and got the minor repairs done. Found out during the process that the point where the silencer attaches to the body was broken… The deep holes on the roads had surely done their deed. Had to remove it and take it to get it soldered. All that done, while Rocinante was being bathed and cleaned I took a trip to the Anand Bhavan.

A beautiful mansion of 52 rooms where the Nehrus lived and which became a hub of activity and momentous decisions during the freedom struggle. It was here that Gandhi declared the non co-operation movement and all the foreign goods were burnt. The joint Congress League met here and it was almost full converted into the office of the Indian National Congress.
There is a quote by Gandhi in the court yard:
“We can see that if we become free, India is free and in this thought you have a definition of Swaraj.It is Swaraj when we learn to rule ourselves… but such Swaraj has to be experienced by each man for himself”   

No comments:

Post a Comment